Game of Thrones: The Sword in the Darkness Review

After the slow-paced second episode, the third instalment of Telltales’ Game of Thrones series, The Sword in the Darkness, is a rather more exciting affair with thrilling set pieces, intriguing twists and a dramatic cliffhanger.

[divider]
While the third episode is still very much a set-up for the second half of the season, the pace is a lot quicker and several compelling developments unravel as the storylines of the ill-omened House Forrester continue. Furthermore, we also get a glimpse into how the several faraway plots of the Forrester family will converge, as Lord Rodrick unveils his plan to reclaim the Forresters’ lands and everyones vital role in the plan- from handmaiden Mira in King’s Landing to sellsword Asher in the distant lands of Essos.

Speaking of Asher, the third episode opens with the sellsword having a tense encounter with Drogon- the black-scaled dragon of Daenerys Targaryen- in perhaps one of the most gripping action sequences yet. As before, Asher’s storyline in the violent and exotic landscape of Slaver’s Bay offers a refreshing change of pace from the politics, scheming and high stakes back in Westeros. Though, Asher’s antics are not free of consequence- in particular, the encounter with Drogon results in a particularly difficult choice that could have grave outcomes further down the line.
[divider]

“Even by Game of Thrones‘ standards, House Whitehill are insufferable pricks”

[divider]
Back in Westeros, Rodrik Forrester and his family have been kicked out of their home by the villainous members of House Whitehill. Even by Game of Thrones’ standards, House Whitehill are insufferable pricks – in fact, they may be too evil. In a world full of complex and grey villains, Lord Whitehill and his family are quite bland in comparison and show no other personality traits other than being cruel and violent for the sake of it. Whilst I look forward to their inevitable downfall, their over the top cruelty and evilness is sometimes tedious.

The most engaging storyline of the episode however belonged to squire Gared Tuttle, who recently joined the Night’s Watch in the frozen lands at the edge of the world. After a slow second episode for Gared, things escalated quickly for the squire in The Sword in the Darkness, as more clues about the mysterious Northern Grove beyond the wall are revealed and an old enemy of his arrives at the wall. There’s also a scene set on top of the Wall that provides the series’ most exciting action sequence yet.
What impresses me most about Telltale’s series is how well it has been integrated with the show’s storylines and characters. It would have been easy (and less interesting) to keep the two mediums separate from one another but instead, events in the show, such as the infamous Red Wedding, have huge consequences for the Forresters. Another example is seen in The Sword in the Darkness, in which another notorious wedding has serious repercussions for Mira and her attempts to save her family. Meanwhile, fan favourites such as Jon Snow and Daenerys Targaryen continue to blend seamlessly into the game’s narrative and enrich the plotlines of House Forrester.

drogon

Another interesting aspect of Telltales’ contribution to the Game of Thrones universe is that you become entangled within the show’s narrative and characters but from a lower position of little power. For instance, the Forresters at Ironrath are at the mercy of Ramsay Bolton in the first episode; Mira is caught in the political battlegrounds between Lannister and Tyrell at King’s Landing and Asher is forced to seek an audience with Daenerys Targaryen in order to secure an army. Experiencing Game of Thrones in this way provides an interesting and enjoyable dynamic, and is one of the many reasons why Telltales’ series is such an enthralling experience.

Overall, the series’ high quality continues into the third episode. The characters remain engaging and well-written; the voice acting is impressive; the animation and landscapes are beautifully realised and the choices persist in being both captivating and difficult. Along with the increased pace and exciting developments to be found in the third episode then, it’s fair to say that The Sword in the Darkness is the best episode of the series so far and lays the groundwork for thrilling final three episodes.

new_twitter_logo

Game of Thrones. Book, TV or Game? @boargames