University of Waterloo, Canada. Photo: Wikimedia commons

Warwick launches new double masters degree

The University of Warwick has announced that it will offer a new degree programme in association with the University of Waterloo in Canada.

As a double masters degree in global politics, it will combine Waterloo’s Master of Arts in Global Governance (MAGG) course with a selection of one of ten Masters programmes at Warwick. These will be offered by the Department of Politics and International Studies (PAIS).

Students taking the course will spend one year at Warwick, and one year at the Balsillie School of International Affairs, at the University of Waterloo. Upon completing their studies, students will receive two degrees from both universities.

Warwick’s Vice-Chancellor, Professor (Sir) Nigel Thrift, said of the launch of the degree: “This Double Masters degree programme with the University of Waterloo is another wonderful opportunity for students both at Warwick and Waterloo to add a further global perspective to their studies and research.”

He commented on the advantages of Warwick being a well-connected institution globally, saying that this fact “provides many opportunities for staff and students to work with their peers around the globe”.

Likewise, the President and Vice-Chancellor of the University of Waterloo, Feridan Hamdullapur, expressed his approval of the partnership between the two universities.

He said: “Not only do Waterloo students now have an opportunity to study at a world-class university, but we see the double degree between MAGG and PAIS as the first piece in what we hope will be a robust and dynamic research alliance between two of the world’s leading innovation institutions.”

The University of Waterloo is situated in the province of Ontario in east-central Canada. Their MAGG programme is an interdisciplinary course which draws on the disciplines, among other related areas, of Economics, History, Political Science and Environmental Studies.

Students will take six courses over the two terms of the year at Waterloo’s Balsillie School, which was established in 2007. It is a collaboration between three institutions: the Centre for International Governance Innovation (CIGI), Wilfrid Laurier University, also in Ontario, and the University of Waterloo.

The PAIS programme at Warwick offers ten masters courses in International Relations, including Public Policy, International Political Economy and International Security, among others.

Warwick’s PAIS department is also looking to develop three further double degree programmes in Melbourne, Washington and Barcelona. It already has two existing courses of the like in Konstanz, Germany, and in Singapore.