Photo: Wikipedia Commons

Five charged with murder following Coventry nightclub attack

Five men have been charged with murder following the death of a 24 year man at a popular Coventry nightclub.

Daniel Kirkwood suffered a stab wound to the neck in the early hours of the 22nd of March at Society nightclub, and died a short time later.

Another man, 18, had a stab wound to his back, and a 17 year-old was slashed across the arm with a knife.

12 men have been arrested in connection with the incident, with seven having been released on police bail. All five defendants appeared at Leamington Crown Court for a preliminary hearing on Tuesday, before being remanded in custody.

Society nightclub has announced it will remain closed for an indefinite period following the incident.

In a statement, the club has said “Our sincere condolences, thoughts and prayers go out to the family and friends of the young man who has tragically lost his life.”

“It is with regret that, after this incident, we will be closing the club with immediate effect until further notice.”

“For several years we have tried to put on the best events we can to move the city forward. We currently feel that we can no longer invest our time, energy and monies into a community where abhorrent acts such as this have taken place.”