Photo: Ann Yip

SU event tickets now transferable

Tickets purchased for events at University of Warwick’s Students’ Union (SU) are now transferable due to the demands of students.

Previously, event tickets would go to waste if students were unable to attend. However, in order to eradicate this problem, the SU has decided that tickets can now be transferred from one University card to another at SUHQ Reception.

Warwick SU hopes that these new measures would avoid event tickets being wasted.

The SU’s website stated: “To make the process easier, both students do not need to be present for this to take place, and the event does not have to be sold out.”

First-year student Nick Jackson commented: “This new system is really good. You can give tickets to your friends who need them if you don’t want them, which is fairer and better for everyone.”

The SUHQ reception is open Monday to Friday between 8.30am and 5.30pm. Students who wish to transfer tickets must do so in person. The SU states this is for safety and security purposes.

As always, it is not permitted to use another student’s card to gain access to an event. However, this policy has also been altered recently due to student requests.

It will now be possible to enter an event using another students’ card if both students are present on the night. The SU has decided that both students must have their own photo ID featuring proof-of-age.

First-year student Christopher Marks, was pleased with the progress but felt more could be done, he stated: “Although this is good, I think an online system would be much easier and popular.”

An online system is currently being developed in order to allow the resale of tickets in the future. This will aim to create a fairer accessibility to tickets.

First-year Philosophy and English Literature student Phoebe Murphy-Donne told the Boar: “Although the system currently in place is more helpful and you can give tickets to friends, it’s still unfair on those who have been placed on a waiting list.

She suggested: “Being able to sell them back to the SU would be much fairer.”

Another concern raised by students was the reselling of tickets at higher prices for sold out events.

This led to the SU asking students not to resale tickets at a higher price, the statement issued on the website read: “In the interests of fairness we ask that students do not resell tickets for popular events at inflated prices, and anyone offering to do this will be banned from the venue.”

First-year student Claire Fuller said: “Reselling tickets at higher prices is a popular way for students to make money, especially on popular events, but the prices can be ridiculous and it should be stopped.”