Photo: Sian Elvin

Super Bowl fundraises for cancer

Warwick Students’ Union (SU) saw the Super Bowl XLIX final head across the ocean to the atrium for a night of sport and charity.

The Warwick Wolves, the University’s American Football Club, hosted the Super Bowl party on Sunday 1 February to raise money.

A member of the Warwick Wolves spoke to the Boar about the cause: “We’re raising for a charity called Mend Our Mum, which was set up by Terri, a member of one of the Warwick Devils cheerleaders at the University.

“Her mum’s got a very rare form of gall bladder cancer that the NHS won’t cover, so we’re trying to help her raise the money she needs for the treatment.

“Tonight we’re aiming to raise a couple of hundred of pounds hopefully; we’re just doing what we can here and there to help out.”

The club ran a score predictor game and a raffle, including prizes from Nando’s, Grenade and Coco5, as well as a cash prize for the score predictor winner.

The half-time show was very interesting – far more sharks than I was expecting! It was a little bit like Freshers’ Week in the Copper Rooms
Andy King

SU outlets also provided American-themed refreshments for the party, including cider in the Terrace Bar, and hot dogs, nachos and milkshakes in the Bread Oven.

The New England Patriots faced the Seattle Seahawks for the game, with the Patriots winning 28-24 to receive their fourth Super Bowl title and first win in ten years.

After trailing 24-14 at one point, the Patriots took the lead with two minutes left, creating huge amounts of tension in the SU atrium.

Katy Perry was the star attraction of the show during the interval, joined by special guests Lenny Kravitz and Missy Elliott.

Andy King, president of Warwick Raising and Giving society, attended the event. He commented: “The half-time show was very interesting – far more sharks than I was expecting! It was a little bit like Freshers’ Week in the Copper Rooms…

“I really enjoyed my first Super Bowl game, it was very cinematic, quite stop-start but it’s been an experience. Twitter was an incredible thing to have access to throughout.”