Photo: Justin Baugh / Flickr

Man charged over rape incident outside of club

A young woman was raped outside a Leamington club on Friday 29 November.

The incident happened near Neon nightclub on Spencer Street in Leamington Spa in the late evening of 29 November.

A 36 year-old man, Abdul Mohammed Mannan, was subsequently arrested on suspicion of committing the assault.

The suspect has been charged with carrying out a serious sexual assault on the young woman following investigations by Warwickshire Police.

Mr Mannan will remain in custody until his trail, which is due to take place at Warwick Crown Court on Thursday 12 March.

Sergeant Simon Ryan stated: “This is an excellent result for our victim and reinforces our commitment to community protection.

“Warwickshire Police commend the officers in this investigation and their professionalism and quick time actions enabled us to identify, arrest and remand in custody a male suspect in this rape incident.”

The area around Neon nightclub is popular with the Warwick student community.

Saveena Mangat, a second-year student who lives on Old Warwick Road, a three minute walk from the club, commented: “This is horrific and quite frightening actually. I am much more anxious and careful when I am walking on my own and I try not to be out too late!

“We should be able to walk the streets on our own and feel safe! Not in a constant anxiety and fear that we may be in danger.”

Sergeant Ryan added a note of reassurance to Leamington residents and students: “Warwickshire Police are dedicated to protecting our community from harm. Serious sexual offences committed will be robustly investigated and we will always look at bringing suspects to justice.”

Josie Throup, the SU Women’s officer commented: “My only advice can be a general recommendation to the men of Leamington, greater Warwickshire and indeed the world to refrain from raping women.”

“The idea that rape is mainly perpetrated by a stranger in a dark alley is a myth, however, this is the most reported type of rape. I am saddened to hear that this happened, and glad that it looks like the perpetrator is being brought to justice.

“I hope the survivor has a strong support network, and I’d like to remind all students that Coventry Rape and Sexual Abuse Centre are there to listen to survivors via their confidential phone line.”

Disclaimer: Bebe Husakova, the Students’ Union Welfare officer, has requested that her comment is removed from the article. Ms Husakova does not believe in any situation that a rape is the fault of the victim, rather, that when a rape occurs, it is always entirely the fault of the rapist.The Boar would like to apologise for any misunderstandings regarding this issue.