Photo: @CleoForstater//Twitter

Warwick’s own Cleo-thing line

Boar Lifestyle chats with Cleo Forstater, the founder of fashion line, Clee Clothing…

At only 21, Cleo Forstater has a pretty busy life; not only does she manage a degree in Sociology here at the University of Warwick, she runs her own clothing line – Clee Clothing. Boar Lifestyle chats to this one-woman working machine.

Boar Lifestyle: How did you start your clothing brand?
Cleo Forstater: I started Clee Clothing in a sort of accidental way. I was 16 and started printing some t-shirts for myself. People started asking for them so I started making them to sell, and it just grew from there. It grew very organically, but because of the lack of planning I didn’t really have a strong brand or a purpose. So at 18 I decided to rebuild it from the foundations and work out exactly what I was trying to say.

Any time I’m not spending quality time with people, getting work done, or engaging in activities that better me, I feel is wasted time.

BL: Do you think your age has worked to your advantage or disadvantage?
CF: My age has definitely been an advantage. I started Clee Clothing just before I started college, and I was living at home. This gave me the freedom to experiment and try new things without the pressure of having to pay bills. The only ways my age has ever been a negative is occasions where people haven’t taken me seriously because of it. A lack of experience has been a barrier at times, but Clee Clothing became my experience.

BL: Would you recommend starting your own business to other people at university?
CF: I would definitely recommend starting a business if there’s something you are passionate about and you’re willing to put the time in. Realistically, you’ll have to put a lot of time into it so areas of your social/family/work/academic life might have to suffer, but if you feel like what you’re doing is worth it then you’ll make time. It’s really important to understand how hard it is going to be – it’s a constant struggle and challenge but if you allow it to push you and stretch you, there’s so much to be gained from it.

BL: How do you balance your studies with your work?
CF: The balance is a difficult one, I can’t say I’ve perfected it yet. I just take my time very seriously, so I try to waste as little time as possible, procrastinate as little as possible, and I don’t have much of a social life to be honest… Any time I’m not spending quality time with people, getting work done, or engaging in activities that better me, I feel is wasted time.

BL: Where do you hope to be in five years’ time?
CF: In five years… I hope to be in a place that I can’t even imagine right now. I hope that the work I’m putting in now will open doors for me, and open me to opportunities that aren’t in my consciousness right now. I’d like to be getting paid for doing something that I love, I’d like to be doing something creative. That’s as un-vague as I can get!

Clee Clothing has an exclusive offer for Warwick students:
1. Like the Facebook page at facebook.com/clee.clothing
2. Inbox the Facebook page with your university email address
3. Use the exclusive discount sent to you on ASOS.mp/CleeClothing

• Starting from 16, and at 21 you got many success. You make us- busines-starter trust in ourself. Thanks from Adam @ UrbanJeans.com

• This is an interesting blog post! Doing business needs many things and it’s not easy for everybody. You can’t be successful if you don’t breath with it everyday. Clee Clothing is a good brand and some of my friend is his loyal customers.

Best regards from Lien at http://canifa.com. Thanks for sharing us your experience,