Photo: Nico Hogg / Flickr

Tougher measures push students to collect bins

Warwick students living in Canley are facing tougher measures against failing to fetch their bins as students are being urged to report their peers.

Warwick Accommodation sent an email to all residents of their properties on Centenary Road and Charter Avenue asking them to report fellow student tenants who do not fetch their bins on time.

There were concerns that leaving bin bags on the pavement after collection time would lead to accessibility problems on streets, and might also lead to accidents and environmental hazards.

[I am] totally for anything which prevents inconvenience and prevents danger to disabled people and people who are visually impaired.
David Skinner

This action was instigated by complaints from residents in the Canley and Gibbet Hill areas.

Councillor David Skinner, the City Council member for the Coventry told the Coventry Telegraph: “I certainly hope this will work.

“[I am] totally for anything which prevents inconvenience and prevents danger to disabled people and people who are visually impaired.”

Warwick University spokesperson Peter Dunn also stated: “There are concerns from residents about bins being left out.

“We don’t know if it is students or not who are leaving the bins out but I won’t be surprised if some of the bins belong to students.”

Some doubts have been raised about the effectiveness of the method.

A 21-year-old ex-resident from Charter Avenue told the Coventry Telegraph: “I don’t think anyone in my house would have taken much notice of that. I don’t think anyone would have bothered to report people to the Accommodation Office about bins.”