Photo: Free Education

Warwick students join national Free Education protest

The Student Demonstration for Free Education took place on November 19 in Central London.

The protest follows student demonstrations four years ago in 2010 regarding the increase in higher education fees from £3000 to £9000 a year.

Warwick students gathered at Gower Street at noon to join students from other universities across the country. Masses of people proceeded to march through the streets to reach the rally point of Westminster.

The protestors were accompanied by a marching band and chanted slogans like “when they say cut back, we say fight back”. They expressed their views on placards and banners to emphasise their agenda.

Photos: Lauren Garvey, Sarah Longmore

Ed Franklin, a third-year English and Theatre student at Warwick, stated that the importance of attending the demonstration was to be a visible presence.

He said: “Talking is one thing. It’s another to join with others who feel the same dissatisfaction that we do.

He recalled the demonstrations in 2010 and said that he regretted not being able to participate: “I had the feeling that I had missed out on making a stand at an important moment.

“The main thing is that we do not give up. We need to make a point that there is enough money for education to be free.

When asked what his main criticism was with the current system regarding higher education fees, Mr Franklin said: “What bothers me is the stubborn denial that there isn’t any alternative. Politicians will confidently tell you that this is the only way.

“The White Paper which was signed by hundreds of academics shows alternatives for funding which doesn’t necessitate chopping off those who can’t afford it like an infected limb.”

Another demonstrator from Warwick, Grace Holme, a fourth-year English and Theatre student, saw the demonstration as a possibility for thousands of students to join together as one voice.

She said: “My motivation for participating is the upcoming election which will take place next year. We need to push free education to get it talked about in the political sphere. We haven’t forgotten, so they shouldn’t either.”

My motivation for participating is the upcoming election which will take place next year. We need to push free education to get it talked about in the political sphere. We haven’t forgotten, so they shouldn’t either.
Grace Holme, fourth-year Warwick student

Students gathered outside Parliament at 2.30pm for the rally, which featured guest speakers from supporting campaigns.

Speakers included MP Caroline Lucas who stated that three quarters of students leaving university will be unable to pay off their debt in thirty years, making it an “illiterate policy and morally bankrupt”.

She praised the students attending for “doing politics and changing politics.”

She continued: “Education is not a commodity. Perhaps they are afraid of giving free education as they are worried what people will be able to do with it.”

Throughout the rally, speakers expressed the belief that education was a basic fundamental human right, especially in developed countries like the UK.

Many argued that because it was free 30 years ago and remains to be so in countries such as Germany, the question for many was why it is currently denied.

Amelia Womack, leader of the Green Party, showed support for the cause. She described the increase in university fees as “inter-generational robbery”, and expressed her concern that the younger generation is too busy paying off debt rather than planning for a future.