photo: Tim Ellis / Flickr

Happy days, expensive nights: Birmingham Christmas market

[dropcap]A[/dropcap]s the countdown to Christmas begins, I’m pretty sure that control over those purse strings has been completely lost. With the Christmas sales and present-buying, alongside the fact that the end of term is fast-approaching, it’s likely that account balances are probably at their lowest.

However, there’s still a lot festive fun to be had, despite the presence of what I call a mere financial inconvenience. Imagine bright lights, busy crowds, Christmas music, the smell of cinnamon, fried meat, gingerbread, mulled wine, melted chocolate – the list is endless- and it can only be one thing: the Birmingham Frankfurt Christmas market!

The market is the biggest and longest Christmas Market outside of Germany, with German food, drinks, toys, decorations, jewellery and crafts all on offer. The main feature is definitely the food and drink sector, where German delicacies such as Bratwurst and Brezel (white or red sausage in a certain type of bread – popular in Austria and South Germany), Lebkuchen (a biscuit similar to gingerbread, often sold in heart shapes with iced messages) and Christstollen (fruit cake), are all available as well as French crepes, Dutch pancakes, caramelised nuts and roasted chestnuts amongst many other treats. Drinks include Glühwein (mulled wine,) German beer, mulled cider and hot chocolate, amongst many others.

At the same time, local traders holding the Christmas craft fair sell locally-produced food and drink such as real ale from local micro-breweries and organic sausages, as well as packaged homemade food which includes cheeses and chutneys. If Pretzels, Schnitzels and Bratwursts aren’t quite to your taste, there’s lots of other amazing food on offer!

How little or how much you spend is completely in your control so for a full day out that can cost as little as £3.50, why not?

The Christmas craft fair boasts hand-crafted items and goods imported from all over the world including Africa, South America and India. With over 180 stalls in total, there’s something for everyone.

There is also an outdoor ice rink and carousel ride in close vicinity, which adds to that Christmas vibe and makes your day out all the more fun! From tasting fantastic food and drink, purchasing lovely handcrafted items, seeing the illuminated, beautiful bright lighting as darkness falls, immersing yourself in the busy, friendly atmosphere and inhaling the Christmassy scents thats surround you, this atmosphere is not one to be missed!

The market is located at Victoria Square, New Street, Centenary Square & Chamberlain Square, and is open daily from 10am-9pm from the 13th of November to the 22nd of December. Entry to the market is free of charge and an open return from Coventry to Birmingham can cost as little as £3.50 when booked online and in advance with a railcard. Buying on the day, a return ticket is roughly a fiver, again with a railcard. Money will be spent only on food and drink, market goods and perhaps to ride the carousel or skate around the rink. How little or how much you spend is completely in your control so for a full day out that can cost as little as £3.50, why not?