Can you work and study at the same time?

[dropcap]T[/dropcap]hroughout our time at university, we’re constantly looking to our future – careers events run multiple times throughout the year. Most students are so focused on studies that they give little thought to working whilst at university, considering it a strain on their time. However, it can actually be one of the best things you do in your university years, diversifying your circle of friends and increasing your employability.

Admittedly I’m saying this as someone who works for the Students Union (SU), so I’m probably more than a little biased. But it really is great, especially if you do a degree that doesn’t require a lot of contact hours. Sometimes the sheer amount of free time you have is overwhelming, and leads to intense procrastination – working helps you focus, as you lose an extra 10-15 hours a week (this is actually a positive, believe it or not).

As well as this, you’ll get to meet people who you’d never usually meet at university – students interact with each other, regardless of year or subject. For freshers, this is great, as it can be hard to break the first-year bubble unless you’re seriously into a society.

Actually, working can be a bit like being in a society, except you’re paid to be there.

Last year, some of my best (and fuzziest) nights out were with my workmates, and there’s always an unofficial social sec encouraging some serious drinking.

The other major boon to working during your time at university is how much more employable it can make you. Combined with the right set of skills and extracurriculars, a part-time job shows that you understand the basics of a workplace and won’t have any problems adjusting from four years of studying, sleeping and drinking.

And the extra cash is great (why wouldn’t it be?!) Evie McDermott, a second year English Literature student, says “It helps you feel like you aren’t totally reliant on extra money from your parents. With living costs increasing everywhere and a loan that usually barely covers rent, it’s a great way to make up the difference.”

As well as working for the SU, there’s always off-campus work. This can still be great fun, although there are a different set of problems to take into consideration. Work hours will generally be a lot less flexible, and if you aren’t able to transfer home, you could find yourself spending more time at uni than you would like!

The great thing about SU work is that you can balance activities and societies with a workload that doesn’t overwhelm, but still grants financial independence.

The other option is to work over the holidays at home, although I really don’t recommend this. The short time frame you have available to earn in and the sheer amount you need to earn, often mean that you end up working ungodly hours. Although it’s feasible, I’d much rather work during term time and enjoy Christmas. Also, you’re working in such short bursts that it’s often not possible to use it on a CV, as many employers would regard it with suspicion.

All this being said, if you don’t get into work in your first year, it’s probably best not to bother. It often takes a while to find a balance between work, fun and study – first year is the ideal time to do this, as it doesn’t count for most students. By the time you hit second year, and what you get in essays actually starts to matter, your degree has become much more important.

But ultimately, I really recommend it! Working can really enrich your university experiences, and you’ll learn skills that you definitely wouldn’t otherwise (I can now make pretty good coffee!) You’ll also make some great friends who you never would have met if it weren’t for the job. When you combine this with an increased employability and some valuable extra cash, how can you go wrong?
[divider]

Photo: flickr/rhubarbncustard