Warwick will now focus on the league after an early cup exit. Photo: Greystone

Bedfordshire hold on to squeak past Warwick

There was disappointment for the men’s third team football outfit today as their cup run was cut short in a close-fought battle against the Bedfordshire fourth team. The dreary rain provided a fitting backdrop for a day that just didn’t go Warwick’s way, despite a solid performance in a game which they controlled for long periods.

The early minutes were played firmly in Bedfordshire’s half, as the home team made a strong statement of their intentions with a high defensive line and early pressing. They failed to create many clear chances, however, and both teams appeared to take a while to grow into the game.

Bedfordshire were the first to test the opposition’s goalkeeper on the 20-minute mark, as they broke past Warwick’s defence and forced two good saves from Daniel Bosman, both low to his left-hand side. The game burst into life after this as both teams began freely trading blows, with Warwick having the better of the play and firmly knocking on the door. A near miss at 24 minutes from a far post cross to Nathan Davies was followed by the ball being put in to the net a minute later, only to be ruled out by the offside flag.

Warwick looking visibly disappointed after a half in which they, on balance, looked the better side

At the other end, Bosman was quick off his line to either collect or clear all that came to him, the most impressive of which was an edge of the box clearance after Bedfordshire’s centre forward was put through one-on-one after an exquisite diagonal ball from midfield. A questionable free-kick given against the home side for a high foot gave the visitor’s their first goal, as the ball was played on to the head of an attacker, before rattling the bar and leaving Bedfordshire’s Jack ‘Pigeon’ Bloodworth with an easy finish from the rebound.

Half-time followed shortly after, with Warwick looking visibly disappointed after a half in which they, on balance, looked the better side. The second half began scrappily as both teams tried to get the crucial second goal, at times trying too hard and misplacing passes while their opponents tackled aggressively. Bedfordshire extended their lead on the hour with a cross played in from right to left that met the head of the striker for a neat near post finish.

As Bedfordshire looked to kill off the game and protect their two- goal cushion, Warwick fought valiantly in their attempt to get back in to the game, but it was often the case that their balls into the box failed to reach their target. Finally the home side broke their duck with what was not a pretty goal, but an important one. The ball was played in from a corner before bouncing around the goalmouth several times, finally being put in by Warwick’s centre half.

Their play finally rewarded with the goal it deserved, Warwick pushed hard for an equaliser, growing in confidence but quickly running out of time. Bosman was sent up for a corner in the dying minutes but it was to no avail, as the final whistle was blown with the score settled at 2-1.

However on the basis of this strong performance Warwick can be confident of a successful league campaign, despite this defeat.

After the game, Warwick Captain Harry Stockbridge told Boar Sport that he felt the game was a close contest which could have gone either way. “I think it was one of those games where on another day we could well have won it. It was very open and either side could have gone through,” he said.

The skipper also seemed to believe that the poor conditions played their part in the defeat, but conceded this wasn’t the sole reason for their early cup exit. “We’re used to playing in weather like this but the ball was skidding around a lot. It was the same disadvantage for both teams, though.”

That said, Stockbridge was keen to concentrate on the positives that the team will take from the unfortunate defeat. “We battled hard until the end,” Harry said. “We were compact and we showed a good spirit to get back into the game. We’re disappointed to go out early in the cup but we can build on this in the league.” Despite the defeat, the team must concentrate on these positives. Competing in the Midlands 4C division, against the likes of the Coventry 2nd and 3rd teams, their division is a tough one. However on the basis of this strong performance Warwick can be confident of a successful league campaign, despite this defeat.