Photo: edmontonliveallyear / flickr

My summer as a URSS researcher

Summer holidays are obviously very precious to every student. For some it is a time to relax and refresh their minds, whilst others prefer to keep active by working or exploring the opportunities they didn’t even know existed!

As a chemistry student, I was keen to develop my experience in the laboratory and was particularly interested in anti-cancer drug research. Speaking to my department, I became aware of the prospects that the Undergraduate Research Support Scheme (URSS) could bring. I realised it was a great way to utilise my time and that it was a unique experience, hugely valued by employers!

I approached an academic who accepted me into his research group for the summer. The application process for URSS was very simple, consisting of a few simple questions about my hopes and aims for the project. Not long after, the URSS scheme approved my funding and I was excited to start my project at the end of June.

My first day was a little daunting as I did not know what to expect. However, within the first few days I felt extremely welcomed into the group and was already learning so many exciting concepts. I quickly learned how to carry out air-sensitive reactions and worked with equipment completely new to me.

I was truly inspired by my group and the enthusiasm they had for their projects was really encouraging. I feel that this has helped not only build my confidence, but has prepared me for my future in chemistry; particularly as I’m doing a research project at NTU in Singapore in term three.

The URSS scheme requires each student to create a portfolio, which was great because it allowed us to reflect on learning points throughout the research project. We were also expected to create a poster giving us the chance to show others our hard work at a showcase which will take place this term.

This experience has enabled me to develop skills as a chemist but also allowed me to network with URSS students from a large variety of subject areas.

I highly recommend this opportunity to any student; not only is it a great achievement, but it provides an insight into the world of research whilst building friendships that last.

Mechelle Bennett

Even though I was in my first year at Warwick, I applied to URSS to spend six weeks of my summer holiday doing a research project in Life Sciences.

Dr Joseph Christie-Oleza, who had kindly agreed to take me on, is undertaking research into the interactions between marine micro-organisms. The lack of data on these interactions means there is much to discover that may be significant in a wide range of fields.

I knew my project was going to be on interactions between two different types of bacteria: one which produces organic matter by photosynthesis and the other which breaks it down into a form that can be recycled back to the first type of bacteria. I was really excited to start work on my own little research project.

Joseph arrived and took me on a tour of the laboratories so I could get my bearings. We discussed how I would proceed with my project and I was taught how to use some of the more complicated looking equipment; I even got to use liquid nitrogen! My first few days were a bit of blur, as I started work and got to know the other members of the research team, the rest of the lab staff and other URSS students; they were very welcoming, which made the workplace enjoyable.

I soon settled into a routine, organising my day around the various experiments I needed to do and getting to work at my bench. I would go for lunch whenever my experiments allowed it and would usually meet up with some other URSS students to chat about what we were all doing that day.

Before I knew it my six weeks were almost over. I have learnt a great deal from every aspect of my URSS experience. The analytical and practical skills will help me in my lab-based work this year. Additionally it improved my interpersonal skills because I interacted with a team whom I wouldn’t usually work with. It advanced my writing and presentation skills when producing an academic abstract and poster on my findings. I really enjoyed my URSS experience and I would highly recommend it to anybody who thinks they might be interested in undertaking a research masters, PhD or a career in research because it is a great way to try it out and gauge if research is for you.

Heather Barnes