Image: Codpiece

Concepts and Questions – Bryony Kimmings comes to Codpiece

The only thing more shocking than the purple lipstick around Bryony Kimmings mouth, is what comes out of it. So shocking that it cannot be put in print, but goes something like this: “British theatre is rubbish…or maybe I’m just being an idiot!” In her last project Credible Likeable Superstar Role Model she became a Paleontologist Pop sensation as dictated by her 9 year old niece. Kimmings certainly understands theatre that defies expectation, and makes your heart beat. Codpiece’s tastes seem to be similarly unconventional; from Taiwanese mime artists and Berlin’s theatrical nightlife, to performances shown at the Arts Centre.

At the start of the workshop when Codpiece started taking their shoes and socks off, I was terrified to say the least. We got an insight into Kimmings’ process when beginning a new piece – more creative club night than isolated writing; it involves lots of dance breaks! Grooving to Missy Elliot’s Get Ur Freak On for three minutes, then writing down then questions that we had about the Universe. I found it new and exciting, if a little awkward at first to let go of my inhibitions. Strutting like a female pop star to Meghan Trainor’s All about that Bass, before choosing the interesting questions instinctively, Bryony’s “I like concepts and questions” approach to performance art opened a space for creativity and imagination, without letting stress and overthinking inhibit your progress.

As Bryony often comes up with the title before the show itself, we were asked to do the same. Her background in visual art is apparent, looking at the big picture then condensing down to the unique detail of it. Bryony believes in “art dictating form” so invited us to let the art live, breathe and grow, and find its own style. Like her projects Sex Idiot and 7 Day Drunk, our ideas were based on scientific-like experiments. What would happen if I pretended to be a child for a year? Could I infiltrate a banking firm to investigate greed? The end product changed with discussion, and made me realise the process transcends the end point.

If you had stumbled upon the wooden floored, black curtained drama room, you may have been surprised by these shoe and sockless students in baggy pants pretending to be larger than life dancing cowboys. But while twisting my imaginary lasso, I realised I am more used to reading plays from the comfort of my bed than birthing a concept for a production from the subconscious questions on my mind after doing the Cha Cha Slide. Never mind pitching an idea whilst stuck in a lift with the Arts Council. Codpiece seemed used to the challenge, even if I wasn’t.

My experience of Codpiece was one of creativity, and freedom. University life can become a little eat-sleep-lecture-repeat, but I found it refreshing to let loose to really engage with performance art in a practical way.Bryony’s workshop provoked questions that will be keeping me up at night for weeks. Maybe I should take my shoes off more often.