Photo: Flickr / P-J-TRASH

Save vs Splurge: Lipsticks

Bethan McGrath gives her opinion on whether you should pinch the pennies or splash out on a new lipstick for this season

Save

Rimmel

Ranging from around five to seven pounds, Rimmel provides some stiff competition for higher-end brands. You can easily pick up one of these at your local Boots, but don’t expect top quality. The formula of a few of the lipsticks means that they can wear off pretty quickly, and the matte colours can drag on the lips and might need a layer of Vaseline over the top to avoid the dreaded flaky lips. In terms of colour range, Rimmel fares better than most high street brands, but your adventurous side won’t be completely satisfied by what’s on offer.

Photo: Flickr / N Adey Photography

Photo: Flickr / N Adey Photography

Splurge

M·A·C
WINNER

Available in over 100 shades, MAC lipsticks are the go-to products for all seasoned cosmetic lovers. As the name suggests (Make-up Artist Cosmetics), the high quality of these lipsticks mean that they are used by makeup artists all over the world, so if you want to get your hands on your favourite TV character’s lip colour, the likelihood is that you’ll be able to pick it up for yourself at your nearest MAC counter. Priced at £15.50, they don’t come cheap, but the amazing unique shades you won’t find on the high street justify the price tag if you’re looking for the perfect shade to match your skin tone. Most MAC counters even give you a free lipstick if you bring in six empty products to the counter.

Photo: Wikimedia Commons / Jen

Photo: Wikimedia Commons / Jen