1001: A Cinema Odyssey

I first started the 1001 Movies journey when I was about fourteen years old. To clarify I am currently nineteen years of age, so that makes this (thus far) a six-year adventure and I’m only 17% of the way through the list. That’s how expansive the selection of films is.

1001

For those that are unfamiliar with the book, 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die is perhaps the definitive list of the greatest films ever made; the book culls hundreds of film critics from around the world, and together these critics choose what they believe to be the definitive films that everyone must watch. What sets this list apart from, say, Empire’s ‘500 Greatest Movies of All Time’ is the breadth of choice and research. Whilst the book is fairly dominated by American films, there is incredible choice of foreign films, with over 20 countries represented. Furthermore, the book is the perfect chronicle of the development of cinema- its first entry dates back to 1902 with Le Voyage Dans La Lune, concluding with (in the most recent edition) Amour from 2012. That’s 110 years of cinematic pleasure represented.

The journey of the 1001 movies is not a closed journey, but a one of many doors and many turns.

Due to this breadth, in both time and geography, I severely doubt that there are many people who have seen all 1001 films. And with new editions appearing regularly, the list constantly evolves to make way for more recent cinematic treats. Whilst the addition of, say, Gravity may mean the removal of a more obscure classic, it does mean that the list stays fresh and up to date with the most recent cinematic achievements.

My personal experience with 1001 Movies has been truly exceptional. I’ve discovered so many gems through the list that will stay with me forever- particularly films such as The Artist, Cinema Paradiso, the films of director Jim Jarmusch, Seven Samurai, the remarkably weird Sullivan’s Travels – it’s been a truly amazing ride. Perhaps the best thing about the list though is that it will get you to try types of films that you’d never normally try, and you may end up surprising yourself. I never would have counted myself as a fan of slasher films, but upon seeing such well executed classics as Halloween and Scream, the genre gained new respect in my eyes. Likewise, the list has introduced and supported a love of silent cinema, particularly the excellent films of director F. W. Murnau (Nosferatu, Sunrise, Tabu).
One of the greatest pleasures of pursuing 1001 Films is that the list doesn’t stop with the 1001 films. Take my love of Jim Jarmusch for example. Three of his films are listed in the book: Stranger than Paradise, Down by Law, and Dead Man. However, since discovering his cinema, I have eagerly tracked down many of his other films that are not listed. Since this has happened, Jarmusch has easily become my favourite director. And this will happen to you – you may discover the cinematic treats of John Huston (a total of 9 films have appeared in the 1001), or discover a director from across the sea – the samurai cinema of Akira Kurosawa, for example.

The journey of the 1001 movies is not a closed journey, but a one of many doors and many turns. You’ll discover more and more about the cinema as you pursue your goal, but perhaps most beautifully of all, you’ll discover more about yourself – after all, hasn’t the medium of film always been a reflective one?

The journey that is the 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die is a truly emotional and exceptional one. It is a voyage through the ages of cinema, with much delectable fruit on offer. It is a life’s pursuit, and one that is worth taking.

Header Image, Image 1, Image 2