"The shining light of the Warwick’s facilities near Westwood would have to be the Indoor Tennis Centre" photo: Geograph

Warwick Sport: “outstanding facilities on your doorstep”

Warwick has a wide range of sporting facilities to offer to any student, whether you’re buying a premium Warwick Sport membership or maybe just the standard membership. Whatever package you choose, you’re entitled to use the 25 metre swimming pool and the athletics track, amongst others. The latter is located near Westwood accommodation.

Here, you’ll also find the famed Tarkett astroturf pitch. This venue is almost always being played upon, hosting intra-mural classics such as the Maths and Stats Society vs the Russian Speaking Society. It offers a great opportunity for any Sunday league footballer looking to carry on their promising career outside of the BUCS leagues. Alternative football venues are the 5-a-side pitches nearby, which are actually hockey pitches for the University’s hockey ventures.

As mentioned above, any Warwick Sport membership entitles you access to the athletics track, should you wish to shed a few pounds after any judgemental comments from distant family members at Christmas. Furthermore, if you wanted to do so alone, it doesn’t require that you join the athletics club. But the shining light of the Warwick’s facilities near Westwood would have to be the Indoor Tennis Centre. Complete with heated floors in the changing rooms that’ll make any Leamington-based students seriously consider only showering on campus, the Tennis Centre has four indoor courts along with professional coaches, should you wish to improve your game.

The Sports Centre has what is considered to be the Midlands’ best indoor climbing facility.

Also of note at that end of campus are the Rugby Union spin-off pitches, in the shape of American Football and Rugby League pitches. Nearer to the heart of campus is the Sports Centre, more conveniently located for most campus residents, which hosts a wide range of facilities. If rock climbing is your thing, the Sports Centre has what is considered to be the Midlands’ best indoor climbing facility, which has hosted rounds of the British Indoor Climbing Championships in the past.

The Sports Centre also has two main sports halls – the Desso Hall and the Main Hall – which you will first come across if you attended the Sports Fair in Week 1. These halls can be booked by Warwick Sport members for a whole range of activities, such as five-a-side football, badminton, netball and volleyball. The halls are also used by many sport clubs for training and competing. In a similar fashion the Sport Centre also has squash courts that are available to hire, catering for all standards.

Warwick Sport also runs classes, to provide variety to your fitness regime.

Additionally the Sports Centre is home to campus’ swimming pool, which can be used for leisurely swimming but also for classes, courses, events and clubs. Anyone can use the swimming pool; Warwick Sport Membership holders may use it for free, and non-members must pay a small fee. The swimming pool is accompanied by a sauna, to enhance your all round sporting experience.

Finally, the Sports Centre boasts a state-of-the-art gym, which can be used with a Warwick Sport Gym Membership or on a pay-and-use basis. The gym has excellent facilities for cardiovascular activities, and is accompanied by the Strength and Conditioning Room and the Functional Studio for the complete work out opportunity. Warwick Sport also runs classes, to provide variety to your fitness regime.

Finally, the university has outdoor pitches for multiple different sports at Lakeside and Cryfield, which are also located on campus. At Cryfield, the Sports Pavilion is a great facility that is home to many of the university’s sports clubs match days. Essentially, Warwick has an outstanding range of sports facilities that are directly on your doorstep, giving you a wide range of reasons to get involved at whatever level suits you.

• Ha! How much did warwick sport pay for this?

the gym is tiny, overpriced and has too many members and not even a water fountain. people join the one at canon park for pete’s sake.
    the new outdoor gym is permanently closed.
    the sports centre is ancient and dingy, the halls have no spectator capacity and are a far cry from other universities
    the pool is gross
    westwood games hall needs knocking down
    the tarkett pitch is black rather than green
    the astros are past their best
    the cricket facilities are embarrassing
    check out the snooker tables in the old nursery – pitiful
    the tennis centre is overpriced and underused

Warwick Sport facilities acrosse the board are average at best