Photo: www.londons-closet.com

Fashion bloggers on campus

While juggling a degree and a successful fashion blog, these one-woman-wonders are on par with the fashion magazines for a source of style inspiration. Bethan McGrath meets two successful fashion bloggers who you may just find yourself sat next to in a lecture.

Photo: www.londons-closet.com

Photo: www.londons-closet.com

Name: Shore Delano

Blog: londons-closet.com (run with her twin sister)

Age: 19

Course: Philosophy

Year: 2

Followers: 8K

How did you get into blogging?

I first considered starting a fashion blog after following quite a few blogs and getting inspiration from different bloggers’ personal style. After my sister started her own fashion blog (before we joined forces), I was really motivated to start my own. She really enjoyed blogging, so I thought that I would give it a go!

Who is your style inspiration?

Definitely Ashley Madekwe, she always looks amazing and her style is so effortless.

Photo: www.londons-closet.com

Photo: www.londons-closet.com

Most embarrassing fashion-related moment?

When I was about 15 I went to Britain’s next top model live, and it was around the time that Camel colours were quite on trend, and therefore I decided to base my outfit on this trend. I went completely over the top, mixing and matching all sorts of different shades of camel, and it was basically a disaster!

Favourite high street shop?

H&M without a doubt, you can get really nice, on-trend pieces, and it’s super affordable!

What is your staple fashion piece?

Definitely a big baggy jumper you can throw on no matter the occasion!

What fashion trend would you like to come back or stay?

A fashion trend that I wish would come back, that did come back was tartan! I love the whole preppy ‘clueless’ look with blazers and tartan. I’m super glad tartan has come back into fashion this winter, and it’s super affordable. Online shops like ASOS and Missguided are myfavourite as they always seem to be bringing back old trends

What is the most prized possession in your wardrobe?

A new biker jacket that I recently purchased from Zara. It’s hot pink, and it adds so much more to an outfit!

Do you experience much online criticism? How do you deal with it?

To be fair, I don’t actually experience a lot of online criticism, or ‘trolling’, and I’m quite lucky in the sense. But as a fashion blogger, you are putting yourself out there, and are making you’re a potential subject of criticism, but I think it’s part of the package. I just ignore it, trolls shouldn’t be given the time of day, there are so many other positive things about blogging that I focus on.

What is the best experience you’ve had thanks to blogging?

I’ve had so many amazing experiences because of blogging, it’s hard to pinpoint the best one! Through blogging I’ve made so many friends, and been in contact with lots of girls who share the same interests as me! Blogging has also meant that I’ve had the chance to work with lots of really great brands, and have experience a range of things which I had never even considered doing. Because of blogging I’ve been able to see shows at London Fashion Week, for example, and film for a TV channel – so blogging has really opened lots of doors for me.

Name: Lydia Rose

Blog: lydiarosexo.blogspot.co.uk

Age: 20

Course: English Literature

Year: 3

Followers: 2.3k

Photo: lydiarosexo.blogspot.co.uk

Photo: lydiarosexo.blogspot.co.uk

How did you get into blogging?

I felt really inspired by other bloggers and thought “I can do that”. I’ve always loved reading magazines, but blogs are a lot more personal and fun to read. You build up trust with a blogger as you would a friend. I just wanted somewhere to share my thoughts and be creative. A year on, I’m hooked!

Describe your personal style.

Olsen twin on a budget. Okay, maybe that’s a bit over complimentary to myself… I suppose that it’s somewhere between Courtney Love and Stevie Nicks. I love anything vintage and boho, I’ve always been fascinated by the 70s and have a huge collection of kimonos. But I also love the high street and Zara especially for more structured pieces.

Where do you see yourself in 10 years time?

I’d love to run a vintage clothing business whilst working as a freelance journalist. I’ve always wanted to be a writer but in the digital age it’s a really precarious time. The dream would be travelling around Europe looking for vintage finds and blogging the journey as I go!

What are your three must-have makeup items?

Benefit They’re Real mascara, NARS illuminating concealer and MAC So Chaud lipstick are always in my make up bag.

Staple fashion piece?

My Vivienne Westwood handbag, definitely something I overwear on my blog haha!

I’ve been quite lucky not to experience too much. A lot of people get quite confused by my blog and think I’m trying to be a model which has never been my goal! There’s no excuse to be mean to anyone online and what anybody says behind a screen says a lot more about them than it does about me, so I don’t really care anyway.

If you could go back and give yourself some advice when you were first starting a blog, what would it be?

At first I felt as though I needed to follow a certain formula in order for people to read my blog. It took me a while to reach the point where I was just totally myself, and wrote for myself, rather than what I thought other people would like to read. I think I wasted quite a bit of time in the beginning but blogging is a learning process and that’s part of the fun.

How do you balance university life with blogging?

Photo: lydiarosexo.blogspot.co.uk

Photo: lydiarosexo.blogspot.co.uk

I have to say that it does get hard, but blogging is my hobby and it makes me happy, so I try to do it as much as I can. When you document your personal style it’s quite easy to incorporate it into your everyday life and just snap pictures as you go. Because I want to be a journalist, my blog is something that always comes up in interviews and definitely helped me to get internships and work experience.

Best blogging moment?

Definitely winning Company Magazine’s Best Personal Style Newcomer awards at the award ceremony in London. I was there amongst all of these super bloggers who I’ve been following for years and it just felt so surreal. I never expected to win so when my name came up on the screen I was totally overwhelmed. To think that so many people voted for me is such an amazing feeling. Blogging has given me so many opportunities along the way. Getting to meet Fearne Cotton at her exclusive clothing event, attending London Fashion Week and getting to try out beauty products before they’ve even been released are some of my highlights!