Photo: Warwick Media Library

Fresh feelings: what are people saying about first year?

Katia Campbell

Fresher, PAIS, Paris

I’m really excited about starting Uni although a bit nervous as I’m moving far away from my family I’m looking forward to freshers week, but as I’m seventeen I won’t be able to attend most of freshers night events so that’s a bit disappointing.I’m not that nervous about living with other people but I’m excited knowing that I’m going to meet loads of new people! I’m a bit nervous about lectures which is a whole new world for me, but I think and hope I will adjust just fine.

John Brady

3rd-year, History

My first year was a little tame at first, but I found things really picked up when I joined lots of new societies and met people that way instead of just hanging out with my flatmates.
My advice would be to get out there and meet as many people as you possibly can and it will all fall into place.

Aparna Chandrasekar

3rd-year, Engineering

You should try to meet as people from as many backgrounds as possible. For international kids, it can be hard to leave the comforts of people who understand all your cultural references but take the time to get to know some new people. We internationals are pretty cool and we can introduce you to food that actually has taste! Spend some time working past the language and cultural barrier and you’ll be exposed to so many new perspectives.

Societies are also a place to meet people from other years and courses, to seek out advice, and socialise with people who know where the best places to go are, as well as being an amazing opportunity to explore an interest (new or old).

Thomas Graves

Fresher, PPE

I can’t wait to start life at Warwick! Initially the idea of not having a separate freshers week seemed very odd (my experience so far of Warwick is that they like to be a little different…)
BUT the promising Freshers events have made up for it, for example Hodor at Rave of Thrones and WarwickSnow. I come from a quiet little town in Berkshire so I also look forward to meeting new people from all over the world!

My only worry is that some of the course content will be tough; some mind-bending philosophy, mathematically complex economics and challenging elements of politics. However as my teachers at school explained, I made it here, so I must be good enough. Furthermore the mentoring schemes available for some departments I’m sure will be a great asset for me. Fingers crossed.

Yasmine Hamadallah

Fresher, PAIS, Dubai

I really am looking forward to the events even though some I may not be able to go because I’m not yet 18. However the line-up sounds really fun and it seems like it’ll be a great way to meet people. I’m more excited than I am nervous – excited to meet all the people that I’ll spending so much time with during this year. I’ve never lived in halls before so I’m really looking forward to it and am so glad I won’t be alone and will be surrounded with great people. So far all the Freshers I’ve spoken to through Facebook have been really nice and interesting so can’t wait to meet them in real life.

Overall I’m just really looking forward to studying at Warwick and think it will be a truly memorable experience. I’m really excited about my course which is the primary reason for which I chose Warwick: it’s so rare to find a course that allies economics and politics and allow me to study two subjects that I’m really passionate about. I’m also super excited about being surrounded with people who are here for the same reasons and which share the same interests. Being an international and having moved quite a bit during my life, I’m even more excited to be joining Warwick as I’m used to change and love gaining new experiences and meeting people from all around the world. I’m sure I’ll be experiencing a bit of a culture shock but that’s half the fun in my opinion!

Rhea O’brien

Fresher, French & History

After a four month holiday I’m excited to get back into a rhythm again, although I’m sure I’ll regret that once I’m no longer free to spend all day in bed after a night out. Also pretty excited to meet my flat mates at long last. If I don’t get a selfie with Hodor at Rave of Thrones you’ll find me sulking in my room for the next week. At Warwick I hope to meet some great people and make loads of good memories and I totally haven’t been using a countdown app on my phone to see how long it is until I move in since everyone else left last week.