Photo: Flickr/Carol

Under-employment rises in the West Midlands

A new study conducted by the Trades Union Congress (TUC) has revealed that under-employment, has increased in the West Midlands by three percent since 2010, affecting over a quarter of a million people in the Midlands.

Their findings show that even though the amount of people who are unemployed in the region has fallen by 32,000 since the last election, under-employment has increased by 7,000.

The TUC’s analysis of the Labour Force Survey points to a broader trend across the United Kingdom that shows the number of people who are under-employed has increased for both employees and the self-employed.

Lee Barron, Midland’s regional secretary said: “Ministers have made much of the improving jobs figures as a sign that all is now well with the economy. But although unemployment is falling, there are still over a quarter of a million people in the West Midlands who would like to be working more hours than they are.”

Chloe Nelson, a third-year English Literature undergraduate commented, “It is frustrating when people want to work and find that they cannot.”

Jack Bonner, a third-year Politics and History student, and a member of the Labour Party, said: “Whilst a fall in unemployment is always welcome, news that the number of low-paid and part-time jobs in the West Midlands is on the rise is concerning.

“We need more jobs, but we also want greater job security and better pay for hardworking families during this cost of living crisis.”

However, Kurt Ward, a second-year Politics and International Studies undergraduate, and chairman of West Midlands Conservatives Future, said in response to the TUC’s findings, “I would point out that under the Conservatives, 1.8 million more people are in work.”

Kurt also highlighted the fact that, “ninety percent of the jobs created in the last three months have been full-time positions”, and that “the most recent unemployment falls in the West Midlands have been the largest in the UK.”