Photo: Flickr/thebarrowboy

Students switch off for energy saving competition

Warwick’s halls of residences will be competing in this year’s Student Switch Off, an annual energy saving competition aimed at all campus-based students.

All the halls of residences will go head to head to see which accommodation can save the most energy, with the hall that has saved the most winning cash towards their end of year party. Last year’s competition winner was Redfern, who won a £500 donation to its end of year party.

The competition, hosted at more than 54 UK universities, is being supported by Warwick Students’ Union (SU).

Andy Bastable, Warwick SU facilities and safety manager, said: “Warwick’s SU have been successful in obtaining Gold standard in the NUS Green Impact awards for the last five years, but this is the first year we have been asked to get actively involved with the Student Switch Off.

“The involvement from the SU with regards to Student Switch off is providing meeting rooms, prizes and helping to publicise the campaign via our web pages.

“We are really looking forward to the coming year and hope that our involvement will help to engage Warwick students in this great project, this year and for years to come.”

Piers Telemacque, NUS vice president of society and citizenship said: “Student Switch Off has had an incredible impact on students’ energy saving behaviours right across the country. We do everything we can to help new students get into good routines. It’s all really simple stuff, but added together, it cuts a huge amount of carbon – we saved 3,000 tonnes last year alone.

“It isn’t just environmentally friendly. It has saved the higher education sector over £1 million. We’re really excited to be working in Warwick again as part of our biggest year yet. Together, we can save more energy than ever before, putting students at the heart of a more sustainable society.”

The Student Switch Off will also run Facebook competitions, which give students the opportunity to win prizes such as Ben and Jerry’s ice cream, NUS extra cards, cinema tickets and LUSH gift boxes.

Students just need to upload photos of themselves saving energy to be entered into these fortnightly competitions.

For more information, visit http://www.studentswitchoff.org/unis/university-of-warwick.