Samuel Wightman

Codpiece – New Year Update

Codpiece has a jam-packed first term planned already, with the society really trying to explore and create experimental work in lots of different forms and styles.

We can’t officially reveal anything yet, but hopefully Freshers will be interested in the weekly workshops that will be on offer this term. We’re really lucky to have some very exciting practitioners scheduled, and they are going to be covering a massive range of skills for performing and also techniques for creating your own work and the devising process in general.

We also have our first show in the Arts Centre Studio since 2010. It’s a devised piece in association with Freshblood New Writing called Souvenirs. We’re using four everyday objects to inspire four stories, told on stage through movement sequences, accompanied by student-written dialogue and live, improvised music. The production is on from 12th-15th November (Week 7), but auditions will be held in the first week of term, so there’s a great opportunity for Freshers to perform in the professional studio space on campus!

Another thing to look out for is an immersive piece which we are performing in Leamington LAMP (Live Art and Music Project) as part of a three-night showcase with Freshblood. Inspired by the work of Punchdrunk and other contemporary theatre companies, Codpiece are looking to build an ensemble to help create an immersive production spanning across the whole of the venue. LAMP is very quirky and up-and-coming, and it will be a chance to venture out of Warwick campus and trial run a new space.

Aside from all this, we are always looking for students to come to us with bubbling ideas for a performance. Any bit of inspiration has potential and we love playing and exploring to put these thoughts into action.