Image: Amanda Fawcett

Warwick University Drama Society (WUDS) – New Year Update

Thanks to the hard work, enthusiasm and talent of our members we’ve had a fantastic year – but WUDS doesn’t stop just because it’s the summer holidays! We sent a show up to the Edinburgh Fringe Festival, our Warwick Arts Centre studio show began rehearsals and our Exec have been planning lots of exciting events and opportunities to get stuck into in the new term!

For the Edinburgh Fringe Festival, Marek Horn directed Simon Stephens’ adaptation of Jon Fosse’s poetic two-hander I Am the Wind, performed by Beth Holmes and Tom Bulpett. The production may have had a cast of two but it takes a large, dedicated team to get it to the Fringe. The team all piled into a lovely flat in the city and pounded the pavement with flyers, posters and at times a violinist to publicise the show. Alex Tlyer designed the show’s beautiful nautical set and an original score written by Stuart Nunn and performed live by him and Luke Lampard accompanied some stunning performances by the actors. The show was well-received, with large audiences each day and great reviews.

We have plenty of shows coming up in Term 1 with Steven Berkoff’s East in the Warwick Arts Centre Studio kicking off our season. The show has been cast and rehearsals have begun, so look out for it in Week 5. Where there’s a show, there’s a social to see it, so keep an eye out for that on our Facebook and Twitter pages. As well as East there are opportunities to audition and apply for more show slots, as well as roles in production and backstage. Look out for auditions for our productions of God of Carnage which will be performed at the Loft Theatre in Leamington Spa, and Wit which will be an on-campus project performed in conjunction with Medical Society (MedSoc). Fancy putting on a show? Keep an eye out for submission deadlines, but we’ll tell you all about that in our (Re)Freshers’ meeting in Week 1!

Like our page on Facebook, follow @Warwickdrama on Twitter and keep your eyes peeled for our new website – we’ll see you at the Freshers’ Fair!