Review: Wolfenstein: The New Order

Release Date: May 20th, 2014
Platforms: PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Windows
Developer: Machine Games
Website: www.wolfenstein.com

[divider]

Wolfenstein, the father of the modern FPS, has been left by the wayside now for some time. The series has been brought back in various forms since the original Wolfenstein 3D shook up the genre, most recently in the safe yet lacklustre installment of the same name from 2009, which seemed to adhere to some variation of the original plot. Now, following in similar suit is Wolfenstein: The New Order, the newest edition to the cannon and the series’ first step into the eighth console generation. The story diverges greatly from the original format by delving into some deep fantasy fiction, as we are placed within an alternative 1960’s Europe in which the Nazis have won WWII with the aid of advanced weaponry, and protagonist B.J. Blazkowicz finds himself hunted while rallying against the New Order that has taken control.

The-New-Order-2

B.J. has received a design overhaul since ‘09s version to greater reflect his appearance from Wolfenstein 3D. For the first time in the series history it appears that B.J. is actually receiving some long prolonged character depth. This can be read as being a part of the games self-reflexive nature. B.J. no longer has a war to win because there is no more war to fight. His uber-masculine qualities, All-American stance and his very reasons for being within the series are now challenged, and his reaction to such a scenario is what begins to enrich him. The character drama and emotional conflict that has been added to the story helps in humanizing an icon who has until this point been the single greatest killing machine in gaming history. He’s a man fighting for the greater good with honest vindication, battling for something beyond the glory of the good fight. Choosing which of two characters’ lives at the start doesn’t change much to the overall story, and really only serves for which lock picking mechanic you’ll be using for the rest of the game. But whichever character you save will bring up conflict within BJ as to their decision, adding to the dimension of the character.

Like many of the best videogames or shooters, the player is able to dictate their own level of immersion into the story. You can chose to be as much or as little a part of the greater picture as possible.

The game, while nothing totally unique is a very well maintained and put together beast that incorporates elements of interactive storytelling without trying too hard, something that seems to have been forgotten by the likes of the many modern shooters. There are some freedoms regarding how to solve different problems or reaching objective markers. There are maps during gameplay that can be accessed, and besides the strict nature of linear gameplay it makes the game feel wider. This open space allows for incorporation of collectable elements such as newspaper clippings, extra maps and files. This is where the game really shines. Like many of the best videogames or shooters, the player is able to dictate their own level of immersion into the story. You can chose to be as much or as little a part of the greater picture as possible. You can leave it at Nazi head smashing, or delve into some of the history and detail within this new parallel timeline. Such as, what exactly are the finest holiday destinations in Nazi-occupied Europe?

1-62

The game is not without its share of immense fun and enjoyment. The ability to jump into a giant mechanised war suit and gun down Nazi Prison Officers to escape is delightfully over-the-top. The Nazis are great villains in general, as unambiguous enemies with firm context for their wrong doings, and played with for stereotypically comical and menacing effect. The reliance on health packs and scavenging for every scrap of ammunition and armour that you can carry grants difficulty without trying, and no time is wasted upon arbitrary upgrade systems.

This is straight, simple gameplay and it’s gloriously enjoyable. A nostalgia journey back to the times of straightforward but well-implemented gameplay, with more practical methods of storytelling, long before the Call of Duty franchise decided to fasten everyone down to the tracks like a fairground ride. Again, while not adding much new it puts its pieces together competently while also reworking the meathead narrative for the 21st-century mentality of internal conflict and resolution, while also being a fun indulgence into drowning Nazis in their own urine.

Game reviewed on PS4

rrating4-5

Zavvilogo

[divider]

Twitter_logo_blueTweet us your opinions of Wolfenstein: The New Order @BoarGames