Marking boycott postponed

Lecturers threatening to boycott marking students’ exams and coursework have postponed industrial action to consider a two percent pay rise.

Postponement was decided following talks for the 2014-2015 academic year held on 15 April.

The marking boycott has now been delayed until 6 May.

Members of the Universities and Colleges Union (UCU) have been planning to conduct a strike and a marking boycott from 28 April.

The boycott and a series of strikes held since October are part of an ongoing dispute over a pay offer of one percent for the current academic year.

Sally Hunt, the UCU’s general secretary said: “Following this offer, UCU has decided to ballot members on their views. It is only right that they make the ultimate decision about what happens next.”

Chris Gaskell, a representative of Universities and Colleges Employers Association, said that the meeting had been “constructive”, with “both sides exploring all options and seeking realistic outcomes that can be acceptable to all”.

UCU guidance has made it clear that potential industrial action relates only to the marking process for exams and assessed work.

Universities throughout the UK have warned that they will dock lecturers’ pay if the marking boycott goes ahead.

Ms. Hunt said: “Universities that deduct 100 percent of pay from staff participating in our marking boycott will be showing a clear disregard for their students.

“This threat is little more than an attempt to bully staff from taking part in industrial action as part of a legitimate grievance against efforts to drive down their pay.”

The University has stated that exams will be unaffected and will run as normal.

Peter Dunn, head of communications, said: “It is our expectation that only a minority of students may be affected by such a boycott.”

“Students should be assured that, in the event of any such industrial action, academic heads of department and administrative colleagues will have arrangements in place, […] to avoid or minimise any impact on students.”

Warwick Students’ Union, which has previously backed staff industrial action, has released a statement explaining that the SU will not be supporting the marking boycott.