Cannon Park. Photo: Sian Elvin

SU officers conduct speedwatch at Cannon Park

Students’ Union (SU) sabbatical officer Cosmo March investigated road safety at Cannon Park where Warwick student Maggie Cheung was killed last January.

Last month, SU sabbatical officers conducted a Community Speedwatch in collaboration with police community support officer (PCSO) Andy Fox from West Midlands Police.

Photo: Cosmo March

Societies officer Ant Scott caught a speeder who was going 45mph in a 30mph zone; Photo: Cosmo March

Despite the fluorescent signs that were placed all over the road to warn drivers to slow down, the seven volunteers in high-visibility vests managed to catch a large number of speeders.

According to the team, at one stage, there were five speeders in 40 minutes. Meanwhile, societies officer Ant Scott caught a speeder going 45mph in a 30mph zone.

Cosmo March, democracy and development officer, wrote on his blog: “This data unfortunately only perpetuates concerns about road safety in the area, but the positives that can come out of it is that it can be used as evidence to demonstrate that the roads around Cannon Park are not safe.’’

He stated that despite promises of a pedestrian crossing in past years by sabbatical officers, nothing has been done yet.

There has been concern of the road safety by Tesco in Cannon Park for many years and this concern has heightened with the tragic accident in January.

Mr March wrote: “Over the years, discussions regarding the establishment of a pedestrian crossing have always been met with resistance, with high cost being the driving factor. The reality is that, following what has happened, the Council can no longer claim that high cost is a reason not to increase road safety in the area.

‘’In light of this, the good people at West Midlands Police have been in touch with us about conducting what is called a ‘Community Speedwatch’, which acts to slow down traffic in the area, but also to assess the safety of a road. It is a joint initiative with West Midlands Police and Coventry City Council.’’

Photo: Erin Davies

Photo: Erin Davies

A petition has been started and presented to the council in regards to poor road safety in the area and nearly 3,000 people have already signed.

Councillor John Blundell presented the two petitions to a Cabinet meeting.

He said: “There are a number of students from Warwick University who have to cross Lynchgate Road to access Tesco.

“Where the footpath turns left, towards the Cannon Park car park, we could put in fencing to direct students away from that area and towards a safer place to cross.”

Colin Knight, assistant director of highways at Coventry City Council, said: “We are concerned about this area.

“There are roads around Cannon Park – some are 30mph, some are 40mph roads – and many are semi-rural. We will be looking at these roads very seriously as well.”

If you want to get involved in helping this cause, then you can get in touch with your local Councillors via the Coventry City Council website or contact Andy Fox from West Midlands Police about helping out with future speed watches.