Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Directors: Anthony Russo, Joe Russo
Cast: Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson, Samuel L. Jackson
Length: 136 minutes
Country: USA

Considering that Iron Man 3 and Thor: The Dark World didn’t shake up the Marvel Cinematic Universe at large, it comes as a surprise that the third film of Marvel’s Phase Two will have the largest impact on the story at large.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier is an espionage political thriller reminiscent of those of the 70s, that just so happens to be a superhero film. Chris Evans’ Captain America is still adjusting to the modern world after defrosting in Avengers Assemble, and is busying himself with as many SHIELD missions as he can get, often with Scarlet Johansson’s Black Widow for company. However, he finds himself at odds with SHIELD’s philosophy, one that is looking increasingly totalitarian in the age of phone-bugging and Blackwater-esque operations. Things turn decidedly for the worse when the mysterious Winter Soldier and his cadre of hit men start to target key SHIELD operatives. Captain America and Black Widow are joined by Falcon (Anthony Mackie) in their search for the Winter Soldier’s identity and to uncover a sinister plot against SHIELD.

The film welcomes Joe and Anthony Russo (famed for their work on the television series Community) as directors, and they excel in every dimension of the film. They balance nuanced, multi-layered and complex characters with an intricate plot and some of the most thrilling action sequences of recent years. Script-wise the film rivals Marvel’s best; it is certainly the best solo film thus far, although it would be contentious to say that it beats Avengers Assemble; either way, an argument could be made.

And whilst Marvel has made at least several good films and a few great ones, what truly pushes this film to the heights of success is the Winter Soldier. He fills the screen with menace and visceral threat, and Sebastian Stan communicates it with just his eyes and body language. There are revelations to be had concerning the character’s origin that should excite just about everyone. And considering Sebastian Stan has signed a 9 movie deal with Marvel, there’s going to be a lot more of the Winter Soldier- something everyone will want by the time the credits roll. Whilst most Marvel films have lacked interesting villains, with this film, Marvel presents their second greatest villain after Loki; and had he been given more screen-time or perhaps another film, he would certainly eclipse Tom Hiddleston’s fan favourite character.

Script-wise the film rivals Marvel’s best; it is certainly the best solo film thus far, although it would be contentious to say that it beats Avengers Assemble; either way, an argument could be made.

The film also presents further characterisation of Black Widow and Samuel L. Jackson’s Nick Fury. Whilst Black Widow is a cool enough character, the film cemented my thoughts that at best she’s an interesting supporting character. Despite having as much screen-time as Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson does not present a complex character. However, this is balanced with her unique wit throughout the film and colourful personality, so this can be forgiven. Nick Fury gets the most screen-time he’s had yet, and Sam Jackson does wonders with it. Nick Fury becomes a much more intriguing and haunted character, moving on from the head-honcho of SHIELD that he has been before. By the end of the film he’s left in a game-changing position that will prove incredibly interesting in future instalments. I hope to see a Nick Fury film one day, because this film proves there needs to be one.

Also of note is Robert Redford as Alexander Pierce, the representative for SHIELD on the World Security Council. Redford relies on his resume to fill the role with authority and pathos; whilst his character is never a complex one, it fills the purposes of the film. One could almost say it was a missed opportunity, but there is so much else going on by the finale that it’s hard to notice this one stray fault. At the very least, it’s a pleasure to see Robert Redford in a Marvel film, and I’m sure both Marvel fans and Robert Redford fans would agree.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier ends up being one of the most interesting and well-executed action films in recent years and is another feather in Marvel’s illustrious cap. Now that it’s been announced that Joe and Anthony Russo will return to helm Captain America 3, the possibilities excite me hugely. Whilst Guardians of the Galaxy, Marvel’s next film and the last before the forthcoming Avengers: Age of Ultron, certainly looks interesting, it’s got big shoes to fill. This film is going to reverberate throughout the Marvel Cinematic Universe for years to come; I can’t wait to see it.

(Header Image Source)