Guest speakers at the conference. Photo: Warwick Marketing Society

Warwick Marketing Conference is a success

More than 90 people attended Warwick Marketing Society’s first marketing conference held on March 8.

This was the first entirely student run marketing conference in the UK.

It hosted world-renowned companies including Google, Sainsbury’s, Cancer Research, IPG Mediabrands, Otto and Wolff Olins, who gave the conference attendees an insight into what a marketing career entails.

The day began with a talk from Andre Campbell from Wolff Olins, followed by Google’s Ryan Den Rooijen, who both discussed the importance of brand-building and customer choice in business.

There were also talks from Abigail Brown, representing Cancer Research, and Shaun Wootton from Otto.

Later, Sarah Ellis, Head of Corporate Responsibility and Society at Sainsbury’s, and Howard Nead, Chief Growth Office at IPG Mediabrands provided marketing career advice for students before the Question and Answer panel, the final event of the day.

The panel was made up of former Warwick students who are now in the advertising or marketing industry.

The event took place in the Warwick Business School Teaching Centre.

Amy Isham, the deputy organiser of the conference and second-year psychology undergraduate, said: “All of the organising team felt that the event went really well; especially as it was the first year that the society has hosted an event on this scale and we hope that it can continue to be an annual event within the society.”

Ms Isham went on to say: “The feedback from the university as well as those students who attended and the speakers has been fantastic!

“We feel that the diversity of the talks and also the degree backgrounds of the speakers allowed us to show students that marketing is accessible to all, not just business students.

“Seeing the audience engage with the talks and ask so many questions was rewarding and confirmation that we had organised a useful and thought-provoking event.”