The Students' Union received an award for its disability campaigning. Photo: Warwick Media

Warwick SU receives NUS Disability Award

The University of Warwick’s Students’ Union (SU) has been named the winner of the NUS Disabled Students’ Campaign of the Year 2014.

The award was presented at the Disabled Students’ Conference, held 4 – 6 March in Manchester.

The prize normally recognises one outstanding campaign. However, Warwick’s disabled students’ officer, Sam Fry said that it was the vast quantity of campaigns that led to Warwick’s success.

Among these campaigns is Warwick Enable, a new society which creates a support network for disabled students, their friends, and enablers.

Disability Awareness Week was also a great success, with NUS President, Toni Pearce opening the series of events, which aimed to raise awareness of issues faced by disabled students.

Events included a guest talk on the local Guide Dog Mobility Team, a pub quiz in the Mighty Duck, and a presentation on the Paralympic Legacy.

In November, SU sports officer, Zoe Buckland organised a Disabled Sport Festival to raise awareness of the range of disabilities, and aimed to create links with disabled sports clubs in the area.

Besides these three prominent events, there have been campaigns for the Two Tick Scheme, Atos, disabled access on buses, and university campus accessibility.

Speaking to the Boar, Mr Fry described how Warwick was nominated by NUS disabled students’ officer-elect, Maddy Kirkman, with whom he frequently discusses ideas regarding their campaign work.

Warwick SU was selected by a panel of judges at the Conference, which is an opportunity for student activists to network and discuss the national campaign.

Commenting on his role as officer, Mr Fry said: “When I first stood for the position in the spring 2012 elections, my slogan was ‘putting disabled students back on the agenda’ because I felt the campaign didn’t have much of an impact and its existence was tokenistic.

“During the two years that I have been officer, the campaign has really come on and I think I have succeeded in doing what I set out to do.”

He added: “Issues affecting disabled students are now more talked about and the SU is doing a much better job at addressing issues that affect disabled students.”

Disabled students’ officer-elect, Jenny Wheeler, has Mr Fry’s support for 2014/15. He believes: “[She] has some really good ideas for how to take the campaign forward.

“In her manifesto, she identified some important issues, such as road crossings and recorded lectures.

“I’m also pleased that she wants to improve Warwick Enable and Disability Awareness Week and make them better publicised.”