Photo: Warwick Media Library

Staff equality campaign

A successful staff equality campaign at the University of London , Tres Cosas, was the subject of a guest talk at the University of Warwick.

The campaign is fighting three areas of disparity between the University of London staff and contract workers: sick pay, holidays and pensions.

It is claimed that there is a disparity in rights between staff at the University, with cleaners and outsourced workers at a disadvantage.

The Warwick event was hosted by Protect the Public University (PPU) and is part of a national speaker tour.

It took place on campus on Monday 17 February.

Tres Cosas achieved some success when the University of London agreed to grant sick pay and holiday to contract workers, including cleaners and agency workers.

These changes followed a number of strikes from more than 50 outsourced staff who were joined on the picket lines by supporting students.

The Tres Cosas speaker tour began February 17 and covers 15 UK locations including the University of Oxford, Edinburgh University and Nottingham University.

The talks will help to “spread awareness of and build support for the Tres Cosas campaign, and to promote discussion of recent student-worker struggles”.

A second tour for late February covering the south of England and London is to  be announced at a later date.

The name – Tres Cosas – is translated to ‘three things’ in Spanish which is the primary nationality of the University of London’s outsourced workforce.