Photo: Ell Brown / Flickr

Warwick Accommodation takes action on asbestos

Warwick Accommodation has decided to take further precautions regarding the asbestos present in University-managed accommodation.

Those living in off-campus accommodation received an email last week from Warwick Accommodation property manager Stuart Smyth.

It stated: “We are planning to conduct a building survey of off-campus accommodation managed by Warwick Accommodation during the period 2nd – 20th December 2013.”

This follows a report in the Boar on October 30 that all bedrooms in on-campus accommodation Westwood and Tocil contain asbestos.

The majority of surveys will be during the Christmas period when students are not staying in their accommodation.

They will be carried out by an Environmental Essentials contractor, accompanied by a member of Warwick Accommodation staff, therefore no students need to be present in the building at the time of the survey.

Surveys are expected to take approximately one hour.

Dan Warr, fourth-year Chemistry student and Warwick Accommodation off-campus resident, told the Boar: “I hear that they’re just doing it as a precautionary measure.

“I’m not particularly worried about it affecting me or my housemates and hopefully the checks can happen over the holidays when it won’t cause disruption to us.”

Mr Smyth explained that in the majority of cases, there should not be any problems resulting from the building survey and it is just a check-up: “As you may know, asbestos was a common (and legal) building material used by the construction industry until its prohibition in 1999.

“Asbestos is normally sealed inside other materials and therefore completely safe… It is unlikely that any further action will be required.”

Shareen Rikhraj, a second-year Psychology student who previously expressed concern over the asbestos in the campus accommodation she was living in last year (Rootes), commented on the developments.

“I think it’s great that they’re being proactive and checking these accommodations when as far as I know people living there haven’t really kicked up a fuss.

“And it’s nice that they have addressed the issue again and explained why the asbestos isn’t dangerous, because I didn’t understand it before. It is responsible of them to be doing this before it becomes an issue.”

Cat Turhan, welfare and campaigns officer at Warwick Students’ Union, said: “It’s really important that students don’t worry about this.

“We are pleased that Warwick Accommodation are being proactive in protecting students from asbestos, and wish that private landlords would be as vigilant!”

Mr Smyth further stated in the email that if students have any questions about the survey they should contact their respective property managers.