Partcipants ready to escape campus. Photo: Warwick Jailbreak

Warwick Jailbreak 2013

As part of Jailbreak at the beginning of November, hundreds of students escaped campus, raising over £20,000 for cancer research.

Students across Warwick University participated in the annual charity hitchhike to raise money in aid of the Association for International Cancer Research’s SmartyPants campaign on November 2.

Teams of two to five were sponsored to get as far away from campus as possible over the course of a 36-hour period without spending a single penny.

Along the way, they were to complete a series of challenges which included taking a picture of themselves wearing their official smarty pants underwear.

This year, teams were scattered across Europe reaching as far as Majorca and Barcelona, with the winners managing to travel over 1,000 miles away to Vilnius, Lithuania.

Despite occasional difficulties with getting in touch with teams, Benjamin Alten, president of Jailbreak society, was pleased with how the event turned out overall.

He commented: “I think it’s fair to say that the event as a whole was a huge success. It was great to see [that] participants managed to raise such an incredible amount for such a great cause.”

Sian Elvin, news editor of the Boar and second-year English Literature undergraduate, completed Jailbreak for the first time this year: “I would recommend that anyone have a go at Jailbreak if they get the chance, because you really realise how generous people can be.”

Another participant, Cecilia Rose Jastrzembska, a second-year Philosophy and Literature undergraduate who managed to hitchhike to Berlin added: “I really enjoyed Jailbreak.

“It was tough especially when having to compete with everyone in Dover, but [it was] a unique experience that I really enjoyed.”