RAG fundraising for Comic Relief a success

**Warwick RAG were at the forefront of campus efforts to fundraise for this year’s Comic Relief. **

The main event for Red Nose Day was the opportunity to do a bungee jump at Varsity car park for £30. Advertised as “the cheapest in the UK”, the jump raised at least £6,000 with a total yet to be confirmed.

The jump ran from 9am until late with over 100 participants. The event’s popularity was clear as half of the tickets were sold within the first hour of opening and the rest were bought within the day.

To those who missed out on getting tickets the opportunity to win a jump was available. For each donation of £2.50 the donator received an entrance into the competition. RAG stressed that this £2.50 would be enough to vaccinate a child from rotavirus.

The money raised throughout campus will go towards combating the spread of rotavirus and acute diarrhoea, two of the biggest killers of children in Somalia and other parts of Africa.

Meanwhile, RAG had been taking orders all week for surprise deliveries.

Students were able to deliver their friends red nose cupcakes, red balloons and even lap dances and leg waxes from members of RAG in fancy dress.

Due to adverse weather conditions some of the planned events such as world record attempts and a tug of war on the piazza did not go ahead.

Nevertheless, members of RAG were seen busking in the rain around campus to continue fundraising.

RAG held their Annual General Meeting for exec positions to be taken up in the next academic year.

Voters and candidates raised over £50 so that Tommy Collins, second-year Philosophy student, could have his hair shaved into a Mohawk by RAG’s current president, James Beavis.

After the elections RAG held a pub crawl in Leamington. Tickets, which included entrance into Evolve, cost £11 for campus students and £1 from each ticket went towards Comic Relief.

The fundraising finished with Warwick Student Cinema and RAG hosting a live screening of the BBC’s Comic Relief on campus in L3.

Andy King, president-elect at Warwick RAG, told the _Boar_: “There were a couple of glitches due to the poor weather but both the bungee jump company and the RAG team pulled through really well and honestly we, as an exec, couldn’t be happier with how the day went.

“We hope to repeat parts of the day in future RAG weeks and other occasions.”