The old adage of '5-a-day' is actually a minimum, not a recommendation photo: wikimedia commons

7-a-day keeps depression away

Whilst exciting, memorable and stimulating, university can still be a tough time for anyone. The novel location, different way of life, new found independence and all the hours spent away from those home comforts can occasionally become detrimental to your well-being. Whilst we all strive for happiness, university can be highly stressful, and it is unsurprising that students are extremely susceptible to mental health problems.

However, according to the latest piece of research by Warwick Medical School, changing your diet can be a way to overcome these problems and increase your happiness levels. Could the “Student Cook Book for Dummies” that your parents subtly placed in your suitcase be worth the money after all?

In the study, researchers investigated the eating habits of 80,000 people in Britain. They found that happiness and well-being increased exponentially with each additional, daily, fruit or vegetable portion eaten. This peaked at seven portions a day. It seems therefore that instead of the “five a day” that the World Health Organisation recommends – to help ward off cancer and cardiovascular disease – we could now add an extra two to help increase our mental well-being.

Research co-author, Professor of Public Health, Sarah Stewart-Brown, of Warwick Medical School, said “Diet has traditionally been ignored by well-being researchers.” She later emphasised, going forward, that the causal basis should be researched so that we can understand the core dynamics at work.

Her fellow co-author, economist Professor Andrew Oswald from the Centre for Competitive Advantage in the Global Economy (CAGE), in the Department of Economics at the University of Warwick, said: “This study has shown surprising results and I have decided it is prudent to eat more fruit and vegetables. I am keen to stay cheery.”

If problems like depression and anxiety are so easy to solve, why do one in four Britons suffer from a mental health problem? It may be due to unhealthy eating habits, as a poll from the World Cancer Research Fund (WCRF) suggests that only one in five Britons eat five pieces of fruit and veg a day. With the financial limitations and work commitments (not to mention the absence of in-house chef, mum), students may often struggle the most to eat healthily.

On the other hand, nowadays, increasing your intake couldn’t be simpler. Canned fruit and vegetables are cheap and have a longer shelf life than those fresh batches that sit around the kitchen. Also, frozen peas and carrots can decorate even the most desolate of student freezers, whilst also managing to add some colour to your dinner. Try and reach the new magic number of seven a day and you could see the benefits to your well-being.

As much as we may moan about the work, it seems that Warwick University is looking for ways to make us happy!