Burglary warning for students in Coventry

Students living in Coventry have been warned to take precautions to safeguard their valuables after a rise in student-targeted burglaries.

Despite an eight percent reduction in Coventry’s burglary crime rate, students are repeatedly being targeted, with laptops and mobile phones most likely to be stolen.

Since the start of 2012 there have been 64 student victims of burglary in Coventry, accounting for one in ten burglaries in the city. West Midlands police have described how many of the thefts have occurred due to opportunists taking advantage of insecure doors and windows, as well as valuables being left visibly on display.

Coventry Police Inspector Alastair Orencas said: “Figures show that students are being disproportionately affected by break-ins – and the reason for that is many are making it easy for opportunist thieves”.

“It’s important for students to lock doors and windows securely even if they’re just nipping out for a few minutes.”

This warning comes just days after a man was given a two-month suspended prison sentence and ordered to carry out community service for sneaking into a student flat in Earlsdon’s Clara Street, snatching cameras, a laptop, jewellery, cash and personal documents.

When asked, many students who have lived in, or are living in Coventry seem to have known of a theft, or been victim to one. One fourth-year Warwick student said: “Bikes were stolen from the previous owners of my house. The burglars jumped the wooden gate and managed to lift them over. We don’t leave our bikes outside and store them in the house instead.”

Michelle Cheung, a second-year management student described how she thought some areas were more unsafe than others, particularly where it is a known student area.

She said: “I know someone who’s been burgled in Earlsdon, so I try to make sure my house and valuables are safe by always locking the front door and keeping the valuables in my room out of obvious sight.”

With around half of off-campus Warwick students living in Coventry, the warning is ever relevant.

West Midlands police force are working with both Warwick and Coventry universities to try and tackle the issue.

Warwick Students’ Union has urged students to follow the advice of the West Midland police, particularly during the holidays. Students are advised to take all valuables home, or hide them away, as well as making sure all doors and windows are locked.