Leam learning space delayed

The new Study Space in Leamington, which was supposed to open in term three, has been delayed.

According to the University, “The two possible locations identified for the Leamington Study Space were not suitable. We are now looking for a third location and hope to move the project along as quickly as we can.”

The space was going to be located just off Clemens Street, in the railway arches.

Education Officer Sean Ruston says the university has been carefully considering how the space should be used and managed, as it will be a complex operation running the off-campus site.

Ruston also stated: “Although we were hopeful the project would open in term three, it appears to have been pushed back and we don’t know exactly when it will open. We are a bit disappointed, but hopefully it will be open next year.”

Second-year Mathematics and Economics student Dan Churchman, who lives in Leamington, said: “The library during exam time was packed last year, so having a place in Leam to spread everyone out would have helped a lot. Now this isn’t going to happen it’ll mean longer journeys in and longer waits to find a place to revise in. Not ideal!”

Students will be able to use the library 24 hours a day in term three, and the floor two study area will be expanded to allow more students to work in what is currently the ‘Teaching Room’.

The Postgraduate Hub situated in Coventry House, opened last week and is a multi-purpose space available for postgraduate students to work in.

The Leamington Study Space will be a permanent feature for the many Warwick students who chose to live in Leamington in their second and third years. It will be similar to the Learning Grid and run by the University library.

Access will be controlled by University cards, similar to in the library, to ensure it remains for Warwick students only.