University praised by government for Business-University Collaboration

The UK government has heaped praise on the University of Warwick for its collaborative work with local businesses and the Coventry and Warwickshire Local Enterprise Partnership (LEP).

The government lauded the University’s efforts in its Review of Business-University Collaboration, published earlier this year by the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills.

Warwick Manufacturing Group was singled out in the report as an “example of excellence”. Reasons for this praise included the regional focus of Warwick’s collaboration with business, as well as its work with Jaguar Land Rover, which received a special mention. In particular, the report praised Warwick’s work with “local businesses, especially those engaged in boundary pushing, high-value manufacturing”.

In terms of how Warwick students will benefit from such collaboration, a University spokesperson commented that: “Students directly benefit not only in terms of their employability on leaving University but also because the University gains additional revenue to spend on resources for teaching, research and the student experience”.

The University also stated that collaboration efforts contribute more broadly, affecting “everything from library books to academic salaries and the funding for student societies”.

Specific examples of Warwick’s work with businesses include the Low Carbon Vehicle Technology Project, which is worth £29 million.

Warwick Vice-Chancellor, Professor Nigel Thrift, is a member of the board of the LEP. He said that he was “delighted that this fantastic hard work has been recognised”.

Coalition Business Secretary, Vince Cable, said: “The best universities around the world are building deeper links with business. We must ensure our universities and businesses develop strong relationships to maximise innovation and ensure students come out of universities equipped to excel in the workforce.

Professor Tim Wilson, the Review’s author commented: “It is clear from my review that the UK has the potential to be a world leader in university-business collaboration, building on the diversity of collaborative networks, partnerships and supply chains that already exist. The key to success is on-going cultural change, strengthening and extending the relationships between business and universities.”