The Five Senses of Springtime Style

*Smell*: It’s no great secret that the humble leather jacket has become a wide-spread wardrobe staple over the last few winters. However, women’s leather clothing is being taken to a whole new level this season. Challenging its traditionally tough image, designers showed it in an exciting, modern light in the form of shorts, skirts, shirts, dresses and even jumpsuits (à la Proenza Schouler). This hard working fabric adds polish and edge to any outfit with the black leather skirt or shorts being the easiest to wear.

There is only one rule with leather: do not overdo it. Decide what works for you. Leather oozes style, sophistication and somehow makes you feel instantly sexy, so what’s stopping you?

*Touch*: Designers have gone crazy with fabric this season and why the heck not?! We’re spoilt for choice: leather, lace, silk, cashmere, velvet, denim, suede, oh the possibilities! Texture is huge this spring, meaning not only will we look too good to be true, but we’re also going to feel it too. I know I’m not alone in saying I have found myself caressing my thigh when I’m wearing my velvet leggings. Or perhaps I am. Don’t knock it till you’ve tried it!

It may sound silly, but touch is very important in fashion. Clothes are meant to look and feel good. The mantra: fashion before comfort is on its way out, because now we can have both! (Women can ‘have it all’ these days remember).

*Hearing*: This spring, whenever you hear a clippity-clop noise coming your way, prepare yourself for a fashion marvel, or else a runaway horse. The clog is back. The popularity of clog has been on the rise ever since Karl Lagerfield showed them in his spring 2010 Chanel show. Yep, the clumpy Dutch shoe has undergone an unrecognisable transformation, complete with studs and chains, and Alexa Chung’s approval! You know any tricky trend Alexa adopts, the whole world will follow.

And now, the other stars are following in her perfectly-clompy footsteps. From Miu Miu to Miss Selfridge, all your favourite shopping destinations are breaking out clumpy footwear for spring that previously would have been relegated to the bargain bin. And if Alexa can pull them off, then maybe so can we. Maybe. So the decision is yours: to clog or not to clog? I say clog.

*Sight*: The boudoir-inspired ‘underwear as outerwear’ trend has persisted on the spring-summer 2010 runways all over the world. It demonstrates a sleek, strong femininity, discretely revealing clothing that isn’t usually in sight. This trend is all about providing an aura of mystique and sophistication, and can be somewhat of an optical illusion. Lace panelling, elastic shoulder straps, even hook-and-eye clasps: such details draw the eye because we expect them to be under wraps, out of sight. Even half-glimpsed, you can guarantee they will be spotted.

Caution is advised however: underwear as outerwear is no excuse for showing your knickers, no matter how pretty they are.

*Taste*: So the catwalks have presented us with some pretty daring stuff this spring, which could go one of two ways: tacky or tasteful. Get to know your palette and decide what suits you, because some things aren’t to everyone’s taste. One thing is for sure: our senses need to be