Fill in the gaps with the appropriate acronym: TEFL

It was 8 months ago that I was sitting at my desk in West Brompton, London, when I decided that the London life I had eagerly anticipated wasn’t pushing all my buttons. London is a great place and despite the fact that I could have written a list as long as my arm about why it’s a fantastic place, I felt as though I wanted more out of life than the nine to five grind. After all, I convinced myself as I opened up Google search and typed in ‘TEFL Spain’, I had the rest of my life to work nine to five in an office. Why start now?

All my life I had wanted to come to Spain and especially Madrid. I’ve now been here for 6 months and it has been an amazing experience. In August last year I decided to pack up my desk in London and enrol on a 4 week intensive TEFL course. After extensive research, I chose a school in the heart of Madrid. The course was really intense and challenging and nothing like what I’d heard about ‘weekend TEFLs’. I had assignments to complete everyday and practice lessons to prepare. My course was full of people I’m still in contact with now and it was great to meet so many diverse people from all around the world.

I chose to come to Madrid because I discovered online that the English teaching here is geared towards financial and business English for adults. I fancied teaching, but did not want to be within 500m of a class of children! Thankfully, Madrid is the centre of adult learning. The classes I teach over here are all either business or financial classes in companies. This doesn’t mean that you teach business, it means that you teach students the right business vocabulary. I find it really fulfilling,although a lot of people I know prefer to focus on either teaching general English or children. Both of these are completely doable options too and ironically can be better paid.

Living in Madrid is amazing and I wouldn’t trade it for anything. The public transport is cheap as chips and is very efficient. The people are really friendly too and the Spanish lifestyle is something to be admired. Although there’s a lack of siestas in the capital, you have to admire a culture where it’s normal to eat dinner at 11pm and stay out frequenting bars until 8am. A couple of shots of strong Spanish espresso the next morning and you’re on top form again.

I would recommend moving abroad to teach English and to properly experience another culture. Whether you are thinking of filling a summer holiday or want to make plans for a gap year, I think teaching English as a foreign language is a great way to go about it and it means you can earn while you travel. Being abroad, independent and completely immersed in another culture is an experience that has enriched my life for the better. ¡Viva Espaňa!

For more advice and information on TEFL and living in Spain, please email [victoria.english.teacher@gmail.com](mailto:victoria.english.teacher@gmail.com).

### TEFL Tips

– Make sure your TEFL course is accredited. Your job prospects will be higher and so might your paycheque.
– Make sure the course you choose has observed teaching practices. This means that you prepare and teach classes as part of your TEFL certificate .
– Studying for TEFL is one thing and teaching is another. Make sure that the TEFL school you choose supports you after graduation with finding work.
– Make sure you take enough money to cover 2 months without working and wise up on some phrases before you go!