Pandev makes Inter switch as Crespo returns to Parma

The mid-season transfer window is generally viewed with the same degree of pessimism across Europe as it is in England. The potential of losing stars or trying to integrate new signings into an established dressing-room environment is particularly problematic. Hence, it is no surprise there has little movement in the market on the continent.

Perhaps the biggest move was the free signing by Inter Milan of creative Macedonian forward Goran Pandev, who had his contract terminated at Lazio. While Inter’s city rivals AC Milan re-signed David Beckham on loan, the signing of Pandev adds relatively more to a deep, talented squad. Pandev has a magnificent ability to beat defenders with skill, has excellent delivery and a keen eye for goal. Indeed, his impact has been immediate, helping his side to victory last week in the Milan derby. Mourinho would also be glad to have shed Patrick Vieira from his squad, given the Frenchman’s major impact on the wage bill!

Ex-Inter striker Hernan Crespo moved back to his first Italian club, Parma, from Genoa. One of Crespo’s other former clubs, Lazio, finds itself loitering dangerous above the drop-zone. It is surprising that La Biancocelesti has only signed German midfielder Thomas Hitzlsperger, who is likely to be covering the imminently departing Cristian Ledesma. If Lazio hold on to Ledesma, a player who has tried to have his contract with his club rescinded, it might be detrimental to a struggling squad.

Fiorentina was extremely close to securing the loan signing of enigmatic forward Antonio Cassano from Sampdoria, who has fallen out with boss Luigi del Neri, but the fiery Italian decided to stay because of his love of the fans and his teammates. La Viola needs a striker because Adrian Mutu failed another drug test for a banned substance. Instead, the club has signed Barcelona’s Brazilian prodigy Kerrison on loan, a player that coach Cesare Prandelli confessed to knowing “little” about.

One of the biggest transfers was that of Ruud van Nistelrooy. The prolific Dutchman, perennially on the bench at Real Madrid after recovering from a serious knee injury, was allowed to move on, choosing Hamburg over a string of clubs. The chance to start was perhaps the key motivator. Quite a few players have left La Liga including Maxi Rodriguez (Atletico Madrid to Liverpool) and Michel (Sporting de Gijon to Birmingham City). Atletico Madrid did cover the loss of Maxi by signing former Chelsea and Olympique Lyonnais midfielder Tiago from Juventus, where the Portuguese international endured a frustrating time for all involved.

This weekend in Spain saw both league-leaders Barcelona and nearest challengers Real Madrid win away at Sporting de Gijon and Deportivo la Coruna respectively. You must Youtube Karim Benzema’s goal solely because of the incredible assist from Real’s veteran playmaker, Guti. Elsewhere, bottom side Xerez surprisingly picked up only their second win this season at home to Champions League chasing Mallorca. Second bottom Zaragoza impressively grabbed all three points away at Tenerife. The big game of the weekend saw Valencia travel to Sevilla. The Andalucians prevailed 2-1 after a brace from Spanish forward Alvaro Negredo who is currently in terrific form after his goal against Almeria last week. The result sees Sevilla move up to fourth, just three points off their opponents who remain in third. Atletico Madrid’s topsy-turvy season took another turn for the worse, with a tame home 2-0 loss against a Malaga side that is fighting relegation.

With champions and leaders Inter having their game postponed at Parma, there was an opening for AC Milan to close the gap to six points, having lost la Derby della Madonnina last weekend. Hosting Livorno, the Rossoneri was unable to hold on, after taking the lead through captain Massimo Ambrosini. The away side, to their credit, kept going and equalised through veteran frontman Cristiano Lucarelli, a boyhood Inter fan who hoped Jose Mourinho would “appreciate” his goal which means that the Nerazzuri is now eight points clear. Claudio Ranieri’s Roma is now joint second with AC Milan after Fulham-bound strike Stefano Okaka popped up late to secure all three points. Sampdoria’s ascent through the table continued after goals from Giampaolo Pazzini and Angelo Palombo led the Blucerchiati to victory against struggling Atalanta. Sampdoria is now in the mix for the final Champions League spot, currently held by Napoli, who drew with Genoa in an entertaining game that strangely finished 0-0. The key match this weekend, for different reasons, saw Alberto Zaccheroni take charge of Juventus for the first time against one of his former sides, struggling Lazio. During the week, the Old Lady dismissed club legend Ciro Ferrara after a run of 9 defeats in 12 games that has seen the side eliminated from the Champions League and slip well down the table such that qualification for next year’s competition is in serious doubt. The game ended 1-1 , a result that does little for each side. Zaccheroni gave a debut to new signing Antonio Candreva from Livorno, in a line up that followed Ferrara’s 4-3-1-2 system and not Zacheroni’s favoured 3-4-3. Veteran forward Alessandro del Piero converted a penalty for the hosts after 70 minutes. However, just 8 minutes later, Lazio were level after good work from Mauro Zarate led to Stefano Mauri equalising.

In Germany, Bayern Munich maintained its pursuit of leaders Bayer Leverkusen with an academic 3-0 home win against Mainz. The leaders also won 3-1 at home against Freiburg. Werder Bremen provided the weekend’s entertainment, going down 4-3 at Borussia Monchengladbach. Stuttgart’s awful start to the season that saw a managerial change looks to be behind them, with a big 4-1 win against 4th place Borussia Dortmund.

The Champions League surprise package, Bordeaux, saw its lead at the top of Ligue 1 cut after a surprising goalless draw with relegation-threatened Bologne. Montpellier seized upon this opportunity and cut the lead to 6 points, impressively disposing of Olympiques Marseille 2-0. The club that has dominated the last decade of French football, Olympiques Lyonnais, secured a big win at home to PSG 2-1. While the side is 9 points off the leaders, it will feel that it is contention to secure a place in Europe, just three points off 2nd.

Next week, I will round up the transfer gossip, review the weekend actions and turn my attention to some recent developments at one of Europe’s giants, Juventus.