Warwick student killed in hit-and-run incident

Warwick student Raymond Cheung was killed by a hit-and-run driver on 8 March on the outskirts of Coventry. The engineering finalist was walking near the A45 when he was killed in the early hours of that Sunday. An off-duty police officer has been arrested in connection with the incident, but was later released on bail.

Speaking through a family liaison officer his mother said, “He was my only son and I cannot describe the pain and loss I am feeling. He meant the world to me. Raymond was a delightful son and friend.”

“He did his best at school, achieving 3 As and a B for his A levels. He would have graduated from Warwick University this year with a degree in mechanical engineering.”

“He was always surrounded by many friends and family and is dearly missed by everyone who knew him. He was a ray of sunshine and would never fail to put a smile on someone’s face.”

His friend Wilson Shum commented, “We all miss Raymond. Now a loyal and faithful friend as he is could only be found in another world.”

Speaking on behalf of the University Vice-Chancellor Professor Nigel Thrift said, “We are shocked and saddened to hear of Raymond’s death. We are doing all we can to support Raymond’s friends and colleagues and our condolences go to his family as they come to terms with this terrible loss.”

Raymond Cheung, 20, was from Birmingham and lived in off-campus University accommodation. He was a member of the Warwick Hong Kong Society, played badminton and sang karaoke.

Speaking of Raymond, finalist law student Harmed Pourzadeh commented “At first he was shy but over time he opened up. He is someone who makes jokes and had a very playful character.”

“In all he is someone we will miss. The world is one light; darker now that he has gone.”