Warwick goes pro-choice

So rarely do positive events enjoy a confluence, and rarer still in the same place, that when we pause for reflection it is mercifully without the grim self-satisfaction normally associated with another bitter -yet predicted- truth: a blow to the economy perhaps; another murder in Gaza; government ministers resigning due to sex/corruption/incompetence scandals…

Yet term two at Warwick has proven to be one of those golden eras in the making. Perhaps the background noise of various combinations of the above has helped throw into sharp relief the immediate, positive side to life, here in our own Bubble.

It is not the place of the Boar’s editorial to list all the things that you should have been a part of, so brevity will be our guide. One World Week managed to entice hundreds of participants with its peculiar brand of cultural diversity, at the same time as the now famous S0.21 sit-in breathed new life into the moribund body of student protest. The Boar came out in favour of this action -and without hindsight’s regret- which has now entered the next phase of negotiation with the University over its demands. Warwick recently played host to a number of brilliant non-academic lectures, the Pro-Choice movement in Ireland belonging to a fascinating, albeit niche, vein amongst them.

For those of you who failed to get involved with either OWW, S0.21, or even the glorious ‘snow-day’ we enjoyed (see image above) on Thursday of week five, fear not. Perhaps the icing on the cake is yet to come.

Elections can be exciting affairs. One need only mention the name ‘Obama’ and the entire room will become misty-eyed with fervour’s residue; nostalgia. Our own Union sabbatical elections are set to be closely fought, and the Boar might suggest, more substantive than SU elections in past years. The dusty mantras of ‘debate’ and ‘vote’ will no doubt be wheeled out in these pages again soon, but their potency still rings true.