Chemistry student to judge national competition

First-year chemistry student, Alexander White, has been selected to judge a national chemistry competition. The annual UK Young Scientists and Engineers Fair will bring together students from across the country with innovative science projects.

Alex will join university professors and scientific researchers working in industry to judge the competition which will take place in London next year.

Alex received a Nuffield Science Bursary award in 2007 to work on a project examining the use of layered double hydroxides as catalysts for the bromination of chemical compounds. The safer compounds are more environmentally friendly than the traditional methods using elemental bromine. Used widely within chemical industry, for example the manufacture of pharmaceuticals and flame retardant materials, Alex was recommended to enter his project into the UK Young Scienctists and Engineers Fair earlier this year. His winning project has also led to further awards at the Intel International Science and Engineering Fair in Atlanta, USA.

Alex said, “I hope my achievements can inspire more young people to pursue a career in science”. Alex chose to come to Warwick because of its excellent reputation for Chemistry and is enjoying the course so far. Head of the Chemistry Department, Professor Peter Sadler congratulates Alex and told The Boar, “He is a fine example of what our young scientists can achieve in competitions. Warwick Chemistry is attracting highly motivated, enthusiastic, bright students such as Alex, and it is a pleasure to train them, challenge them and guide them to even greater achievements. Modern science is very exciting.”